2007 Breast Cancer 3 Day

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Better Late Than Never I Guess

I'm sitting here watching Oprah with mixed feelings. Almost three years ago I wrote to her suggesting that she air a show on breast cancer particularly in young women. I received no response. With her ability to influence the women of the world I thought that a show would be beneficial--a show to really talk about breast cancer.

Today Christina Applegate in on her show discussing her recent diagnosis of breast cancer. While I am saddened that another young woman has been diagnosed, I am happy that she intends to use her celebrity to raise awareness. My problem is why now is Oprah doing a show on this? Did she have to have a celebrity face to make it "show worthy"? I think of all the women that could have been helped if this show had been produced even just three years ago.

Yes, I am aware that it's not Oprah's responsibility to save the world, but I also know that sometimes it isn't about ratings and celebrity either. She is constantly bringing women's issues to the table, so why has it taken so long to talk about breast cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment