2007 Breast Cancer 3 Day

Monday, February 11, 2008

One week post-op

One week ago today I had a complete hysterectomy: uterus, ovaries and cervix. Apparently I had two cysts on one of my ovaries (who knew?) which was sent to pathology just in case. The entire procedure was done laproscopically. I highly recommend it. The worst part has been my belly button. There is a one inch incision coming from the center of it vertically running downward. The incision isn't that bad it's just really sore. Apparently they really manuevered that scope around in there and now I'm paying the price for it. I also have 2 tiny incisions on either side of my abdomen where my ovaries used to be. It really was a piece of cake. I stopped taking the heavy pain meds on day 3 and stopped taking all meds by day 5. I'm still a little tender in the middle, but feeling great otherwise.

So the burning question...menopause symptoms??

Yep, I had my first official hot flash on day 4. I recognized it for what it was quickly since I had so many during chemo. Thankfully I haven't had many more yet. I have already found that I'm having a hard time regulating my body temperature at night. I had the same problem during chemo. One minute I'm hot and the very next minute I'm cold. Hopefully this will stabilize as it's quite annoying. I at least haven't had any night sweats yet--those are brutal.

So all in all, it's been a good experience if you can say that about going through "the change" at 33. I go in for my follow-up appointment on Wednesday, and then I meet with my oncologist on the 18th to start a new medication to help prevent recurrence of breast cancer.

I am hopeful that this blog will be stagnate for a while again as life returns to normal issues that don't involve cancer, genetics, recurrence and testing. Thanks for all the prayers and support. You means the world to me.

1 comment:

  1. Fran, I stumbled into this webpage about your jurney through breast cancer. I was trying to search for yound victims of breast cancer and a link to your webpage came up and caught my interest. I am 25 years old with no family history of breast cancer and have it. I'm just curious how many cases like mine there are. Everybody who meets me tells me that I'm the youngest person they've met who has breast cancer. I actually found it when I was 24, right before my 25th birthday. Being so young and plus with no family history of breast cancer all the medical people I've met say that there is no reason I should have this in my body. Even though it just in one breast, Im going to have a bilateral mastectomy because I don't want to ever have to go through what I'm fixing to go through again. From the day my biopsy labs came back positively cancer to the day of my surgery (which is this Friday) it will be exactly 3 weeks! I'm extremely thankful that everything is getting taken care of in such a timely manner and from my lack of emotional breakdown I honestly think that my emotions just haven't had the time to catch up with reality yet. I'm starting to feel alittle emotional this week as everything I've been told in the last 2 weeks is becoming my reality. The question that I wanted to ask you is if you knew where I might find info about the youngest and very young breast cancer victims. Thank you for any knowledge that you could pass on.
    Best Wishes,
    Cristie
    Jacksonville, Florida
    cristieann@live.com

    ReplyDelete