2007 Breast Cancer 3 Day

Monday, October 08, 2007

Giving Up More of Myself to Save Myself

My appointment Friday went as expected. I am now scheduled to see a gynecological oncologist on the 18th. This appointment will be to schedule a complete hysterectomy. I'm doing much better with this today than I was last week.

I will also be having a bone density test done soon. Removing my ovaries removes the estrogen from my system. This is great in the fight against cancer recurrence, but horrible for my bones. I will now have to be concerned with osteoporosis. At least that won't kill me.

I'm going to try to schedule surgery for just after the first of the year. I want to get through the holidays without major surgery and definitely without menopause symptoms. Who needs hot flashes and facial hair at Christmas time? They're not on my wish list this year I assure you.

So I'm again giving up more of myself to save myself. I don't have any regrets about the double mastectomies so I am hoping I will feel the same way about my reproductive organs too. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Fran, you've been on my heart throughout these past days. Know that I'm praying for each physical need you're facing, as well as each need of your heart. Praying that you sense the strong, protective, and tender love of your heavenly Father as He carries you through this time.

    Praying, too, for your coming 3-day walk! I'm so excited and can't wait to hear all about it!

    Much love ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, I know it sucks to have to give so much of ourselves to this crappy disease. I will be thinking about you next week during this difficult time of more loss.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete