2007 Breast Cancer 3 Day

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Today I met with my new oncologist here in KY. He seems very serious, but also VERY well informed of current treatment and research of breast cancer. He agrees that everything seems to be "normal" for me right now. He did say that new studies have shown it isn't necessary to have all of the CT scans/bone scans unless I am having symptoms of a problem. This makes me a bit nervous since I'm in the "like to know for sure "camp, but his explanation made sense. The only bad thing is that by the time I am "symptomatic" to go for the scans the cancer could be having a field day in my body.

He is recommending that I go for genetic counseling. There are two genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 that show mutations that can cause breast cancer as well as ovarian cancer. In cases like mine where there is no immediate family history and I'm young it is very possible that I will test positive for these gene mutations. This would at least give me a "reason" for getting cancer. I have mutant genes!! I can't help but think of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

mutant turtle

Only 1-2% of us have these mutations, but finding out that you are positive is huge in treatment. If I am positive we will then discuss removing my ovaries or a complete hysterectomy. Women that are positive for these mutations have a 40% chance of developing ovarian cancer. Since I'm not having any more babies anyway there's no need to keep the cancer-bait around. But all of that is yet to be seen. He will be referring me to genetic counseling then I will go for the blood test. I don't know the timeline for this, but I will keep everyone updated as I know more.

1 comment:

  1. It feels like I wrote this post. I am in the same boat as you. I went to a genetic counselor who said yes, I should be tested, to be turned down by my insurance. They wouldn't cough up the $3000 for the test, but they would pay to have my ovaries out, which is what I did. What sense does THAT make? Well, now, after I have healed from the surgery, I feel that I made the right choice with what options I had. I hope things go well for you and that you get tested. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete